Monday, January 27, 2014

The Painter of Divinities - My Homage to Swami Umanathananda ji (Shrish Maharaj)





Who are the spectators for this huge film called Life? Who is the Director who so ably directs the actors that they forget themselves and merge so seamlessly into the skin of their characters?
I suppose every character is dear to a dedicated director; every single one of them, not only the Lead, is precious to the director; and, at the end of their part when the actors shed their costume and resume their real selves, the Director and Her peers, perhaps give a standing ovation.
Shrish Maharaj has left the stage; his merry mannerisms with hints of boisterousness and his hearty accents are still ringing in my memory.
It seems that our extravagant Director does not care to keep copies of films. It is a pity that we do not have good copies of such priceless acting but it seems the capricious Boss does not like our lives' sloppy, loopy, spools of reels rolling round and round forever and ever. She lets the scenes play out in the minds of people and allows them to fade away as She sets up fresh characters at a fast and furious pace.
But oh, not yet; let me reflect on this Character a little more while;
He was fifty plus and I was twenty plus when I first met him. I had heard of his reputation as a good artist (painting) and I think I had already seen some of his paintings. Two of the well-known pictures of his are his portraits of the Holy Mother, one in the dining hall of Belur Math and the other at the entrance of Aroghya Bhavan. He must have done more than one hundred paintings. He confined himself to delineating the forms of the Holy Trio only and even in that, he took a conscious decision to portray only the standard photographs of Sri Ramakrishna, Mother and Swami Vivekananda.
In the Ramakrishna Mission, fortunately or unfortunately, in general, a monk is allowed to ride his hobbyhorse only if he does some standard routine work in a satisfactory manner. He was working under Swami Madhavananda and he went on to work under his successor Swami Vireshwarananda, who was perhaps midway in the process of getting into the skin of an unflappable strong boss Character. Once when Shrish Maharaj pointed out some minor mistake in a statement made by Swami Vireshwarananda, it irked the later. Shrish Maharaj told me that he had made the correction in a rater peremptory manner and that tone had annoyed Vireshwarananda. Though Shrish Maharaj must have tried later to be duly deferential in his ways, I think his ‘on your face’ style never fully left him; and why should it, we may ask; when the script-writer and the Director have given him his Character, let him stick to it, we would say and, yes, he basically stuck to it and they seemed to have accepted him as he was and also provided some ample space for his hobbyhorse to amble on; with great reluctance and at a very late age did he dismount his horse; he was attempting at painting even at a very advanced age, when he was limping and dragging his picture stands behind him. He has left quite a few unfinished pictures. I hope they are in proper care and custody. His finished paintings too would be preserved well, I hope.
He would try to get people to do little errands for him, like clearing up a corner of his cluttered room, or move a picture from here to there, etc. I was one of such occasional errand boys. When I was not in a position or mood to do anything for him I used to give a wide berth to his room and even that part of the Aroghya Bhavan where his room was, for he would be lying in lay to catch a potential passer-by.
Once a good doctor prescribed cycle riding for him, a sort of special cycle meant for some particular physiotherapy; for many minutes this old monk drove around fast and furious all over the campus in glee. He joked about the possibility of plunging, zing, into the Ganga and about how lovely it would be; I think I was reminded about the monk about whom Nivedita heard Swamiji talk of, one who was so overwhelmed when he beheld a sublime, picture-perfect scenery at a Himalayan top that he just plunged down into it. Shrish Maharaj must have talked this way to a few more people and the next day he was divested of his cycle and was back to his picturesque limping style of walk. That walk needs a mention, by the way. He used to walk with two sticks and drag his feet slowly and would have made a good talking companion to any adventurous tortoise willing to listen. He straddled around the Math campus in this regal fashion for quite some years. Then when he entered into Aroghya Bhavan, he mostly conducted his forays confined within his wheel chair, except for that brief flash of cycling therapy.

But he did keep walking, as often as he could, to one place very near Aroghya Bhavan. There is a mango tree before entering the Karmi Bhavan; it has a platform, now in broken condition (well, that was how it was the last time I saw it about a year back). There is a step to climb onto it. One evening as he emerged out from the Aroghya Bhavan he called out to me and when I went near him, he put his arm on me and limped towards the tree using my shoulders as his prop. When he was about to climb atop the platform, I protested a bit, asking why he should trouble himself in this way. He asked me to climb up and see for myself and I saw a sight, which later I have shown to many scores of sightseers. It was a sight to behold. I started calling this place the Door Darshan Point. You needed to be at this point either before sunrise or anytime after sunset but before the temple closes. (Unfortunately, about two years back I found a rude and abrupt boundary wall entirely blocking out the sight; I hope something is done about it)
He showed me the Holiest of Holies. It was my great pleasure while I was residing at Belur Math to show it to many more – monks and some devotees – and get pleased beholding their joy at the sight they beheld.

Hari Om Ramakrishna

Swami Umanathananda ji (Shrish Maharaj) passed away on 2 January 2014 at 3.45 am at Seva Pratishthan.  He was 88.  Cremation was at Belur Math in the afternoon  of 2 January 2014 starting at 12.15 pm.